Instant download to solution. Once the payment is made, the solution file link will be auto-mailed to your specified E-mail id. Check your inbox as well as spam folder. You can download the solution file by clicking that link.
Battonkill Company, operating at full capacity, sold 112,800 units at a price of $150 per unit during 2010. Its income statement for 2010 is as follows:
cost of good sold 6,000,000
gross profit 10,920,000
selling expenses 3,000,000
administrative expenses 1,800,000
total expenses 4,800,000
income from operations 6,120,000
The division of costs between fixed and variable is as follows:
cost of sales 40% 60%
selling expenses 50% 50%
administrative expenses 70% 30%
Management is considering a plant expansion program that will permit an increase of $1,500,000 in yearly sales. the expansion will increase fixed costs by $200,000 but will not affect the relationship between sales and variable costs.
1) Determine for 2010 the total fixed costs and the total variable costs.
2) Determine for 2010 (a) the unit variable cost and (b) the unit contribution margin
3) compute the break-even sales (units) for 2010
4) compute the break-even sales (units) under the proposed program
5) determine the amount of sales (units) that would be necessary under the proposed program to realize the $6,120,000 of income from operations that was earned in 2010
6) determine the maximum income from operations possible with the expanded plant
7) if the proposal is accepted and sales remain at the 2010 level, what will the income or loss from operations be for 2011.
8) based on the data given, would you recommend accepting the proposal.